Log in

Testimonial Documented By: Aneta Chereshski

Project Co-ordinator: Nellie Khoroshina

Cover Art & Design: Sarah Scharf

Proof-reader: Shelley Dukes

Translated into English by: Oleg Petrenko

My name is Boris Genikhovich. I was born in 1927 in the city of Odessa, a Black sea port of the former Soviet Union. My parents had six children: four sons and two daughters. I was the youngest.

My family was a typical working class family: my father making a living as a manual worker in a factory and my mother was home looking after the children. Our living standards were not better or worse than that of our neighbours but only much later I understood that we all lived in extreme poverty.

That, however, did not define my recollection of my childhood. I think I had a happy childhood: I had a very loving family and very happy environment in school: good teachers and loyal friends. As a child, I was not concerned with financial difficulties, especially because other children were in the same boat. Even after my father died in 1939 from cancer, I do not remember having to starve, because two of my brothers and sisters were already working and contributing to the family’s income.

When the war with the Soviet Union started on the 22nd of June 1941, I was 14 years old.

My eldest brother Lev was already a professional army officer, commander of a tank division.

My second eldest brother Monya was immediately conscripted into the navy and both of them were fighting from the first days of the war.

My third brother Grisha, two years older than I, was studying at a vocational (trade) school. When the war started, the school was evacuated further to the east as were many industrial plants and factories and facilities were established for producing goods needed to support the Army war efforts. Eventually, he was also mobilised into the Army.

One of my sisters, 18 years older than me, was married and had children. Her husband was also sent to the front. Thus, four members of my family, were fighting at the front at the same time. Unfortunately, my eldest brothers Lev and Monya were killed in the battle for Stalingrad.

At the beginning of the war, following the attacks of the German Army, a great movement of the escaping population began to the east. Many organizations were evacuating their workers but generally the people were using any transport available to escape often under the bombardment of attacking German planes.

My family managed to get on the boat named “Nogin’’ and travelled on the Black Sea. After that we hired a horse driven cart and drove further to the east until we reached some villages in the Rostov region. We stopped there and started to work on a farm. However, the front was approaching and we had to move further to the east. Eventually we finished up in the city of Tashkent, the capital of the Republic of Uzbekistan in Central Asia.

In 1944 when I turned 17, I decided to join the Army voluntarily. My mother was in absolute despair over my decision, trying to change my mind. She nearly threw herself under the train when I, together with the others soldiers, left for the front. She reckoned that she had sacrificed enough sons for the defence of the motherland, the war was approaching the end there was no need to risk my life. However, we were patriots ready to die for the motherland and Stalin.

In 1944 the largest part of the Soviet Union was already liberated including my hometown Odessa. My regiment was sent there and later to the Republic of Moldavia for training. We had to choose a military profession to be trained in. I had decided to become a machine-gunner. The reason for my choice was very childish. At one time we were all crazy about a movie showing the adventures of a Red Army hero Vasiliy Chapaev. In the movie was another heroic figure of a young girl Annka, who was a very famous machine-gunner with a no less famous machine-gun called ‘’Maxim’’. So I wanted to be like Annka and that is why I decided to become a machine-gunner. I regretted this decision many times because the gunners are always on the front line and are the first to be killed.

After two months of training our regiment was sent to the front.

I was fighting in the war until the last day, and finished the war as a commander of a machine-gun regiment. In the battles with Germany’s allies, Romania, Hungary and Austria, I participated in the liberation of Moldavia, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia. The fights in Yugoslavia were especially difficult.

I will also never forget the city of Sekeshfegervari in Hungary located on LakeBalaton. We were fighting Germans there and the city was changing hands a number of times. When our Army was in the city we opened a hospital but when the Germans were entering it, we did not have enough time to transport all the wounded soldiers. Before killing them, the Germans tortured them, burned a star on their forehead and burned out their eyes with hot pokers.

That was happening in February. Lake Balaton was half frozen. In one of the battles I fell under the water and started to drown. One of my friends, risking his own life, got me out on land and gave me some vodka to drink to bring the body temperature up.
I was also fighting as part of the 66th Army in the Austrian Alps. We entrenched ourselves in forests which seemed to be growing straight from the stones of the mountains. The difference was that we were fighting our former compatriots, the Army of General Vlasov, consisting of traitors and deserters who were fighting on Hitler’s side and also the Army of Bandera, Ukrainian nationalists. They knew that they would have no mercy if captured and were fighting to the bitter end.

I was lying next to my machine-gun when a soldier passed me, shouting ‘’the war is ended’’. I grabbed his leg and asked: ‘’how do you know?’’ ‘’Moscow transmitted, I am a radio operator’’. After the war ended, I still served in the Army for another six years. I was located in the city of Chernovzy, in the Ukraine.

I was awarded many medals and the Order of Glory First Class for bravery in battle.

I consider myself a very lucky man. I survived the war when millions of people died. I created with my late wife a very good family. I have a daughter, two grandchildren and two great grandchildren. I am 90 years old and I am enjoying life in such a paradise country as Australia.

Пусть пулеметы молчат Борис Генихович

Мое имя Борис Генихович. Я родился в 1927 году, в городе Одессе, Украиа, бывшего Советского Союза. У моих родителей было шестеро детей: четыре сына и две дочери. Я был самым младшим. Мой отец был рабочим, а мама смотрела дома за детьми. Материально мы жили не лучше и не хуже, чем наши соседи, хотя сейчас, понимаю, что мы все жили в нищете. Это, однако, не опредилило воспоминание о моем детстве. Я считаю, что у меня было хорошее детство: у меня была любящая семья, хорошие друзья и учителя в школе, а материальные недостатки меня, как ребенка, не заботили. Даже когда мой папа умер от рака в 1939 году и мама осталась одна, я не испытывал особых трудностей, так как два моих брата и сестры были уже взрослыми людьми.

Когда началась война, 22 июня 1941 года, мне было 14 лет. Мой старший брат Лева, к этому времени, уже служил кадровым офицером в Красной Армии и во время войны был командиром танкового подразделения. Второй по возрасту брат Моня был сразу мобилизован в военно- морской флот и оба брата воевали с первых же дней войны.

Мой третий брат Гриша был на два года старше меня и к началу войны он учился в ремесленном училище. Eго эвакуировали в тыл вместе с училищем. Однако, через некоторое время он был тоже мобилизован в Армию. Одна моя сестра, на 18 лет старше меня, была уже замужем и имела 10 детей.
Ее муж был тоже сразу мобилизован и отправлен на фронт. Так что в итоге, четыре члена моей семьи воевали на фронте. Мои братья Лева и Моня, к сожалению, погибли под Сталинградом.

Моя старшая сестра с детьми оказалась в столице Узбекской республики, Ташкенте. Я, мама, вторая сестра и брата Левы жена с детьми оказались в Ростовской области. Чтобы попасть туда, мы вначале плыли на пароходе «Ногин» по Черному морю, затем пересели на подводы, пока добрались до какой-то деревни в Ростовской области. Какое-то время все взрослые работали в колхозе, но, со временем, мы все оказались в Ташкенте.

Когда мне исполнилось 17 лет, в 1944 году, я решил идти добровольцем в Армию. Мама была в абсолютном отчаянии, пытаясь меня отговорить. Oна чуть не бросилась под поезд, когда наше подразделение увозили. Мама считала, что уже отдала трех сыновей и зятя на защиту Родины, война вроде идет к концу и мне незачем было рисковать жизнью. Но мы все были такими патриотами и, конечно, тогда не понимали, что для власти мы были просто пушечным мясом.

Во время боя, когда звучал призыв ‘’ За Родину, за Сталина’’, все поднимались в атаку, несмотря на смертельный огонь. В 1944 году большая часть территории Советского Союза была уже освобождена и это включало мой родной город Одессу.

Часть новобранцев, в которую я входил, направили в Одессу для тренировки. Наш двухсотый запасной полк направили на учение в Молдавию, находящуюся недалеко от Одессы. Нам предложили выбрать себе военную специальность. Я решил стать пулеметчиком. Сейчас смешно вспоминать, почему я решил стать пулеметчиком. Дело было в том, что перед войной был очень популярен фильм о герое гражданской войны Василии Чапаеве, у которого была геройская пулеметчица Аннка.Oна стреляла из пулемета ‘’Максим’’. Вот поэтому я тоже захотел быть пулеметчиком.

Я часто сожелел об этом решении, потому что пулеметчики всегда были на первой линии нападения и подвергались особой опасности. Нас обучали два месяца, а затем на машинах отправили на фронт. Я был командиром пулеметного расчета и мы все друг за друга стояли насмерть.

Я учавствовал в боях с Румынией за освобождение Молдавии, освобождал Болгарию, учавствовал в тяжелых боях в Югославии. В Венгрии, воевавшей на стороне Гитлера, ожесточенные бои шли за город Секешфекервар, который стоял на озере Балатон. Этот город переходил из рук в руки. Наши войска открыли госпиталь в городе, а когда немцы входили в город, раненных не всегда успевали вывозить. Немцы убивали наших раненных, выкалывали глаза и выжигали каленным железом на лбу звезды.

Дело было в феврале 1945, когда очень ожесточенные бои шли на полузамершем озере Балатон. В один из боев я провалился под лед и точно бы утонул, если бы мой друг не вытащил меня из воды и быстро отогрел, влив мне в горло водку. Я воевал также в Австрийских Альпах в составе 66-ой Гвардейской Полтавской Краснознаменной дивизии.

Мы окопались там в лесах, которые, казалось росли прямо на камнях. Как пулеметчик, я всегда был впереди. Воевали мы не против немцев, а против Власовцев и Бaндеровцев (армия советских предателей Родины, воевавшие на стороне немцев). Нам было приказано их в плен не брать, а сразу убивать. Зная, что им нечего терять, они особенно отчаянно сопротивлялись. Конец войны я встретил, лежа у своего пулемета. Мимо меня с криком «Война кончилась, война кончилась!» пробежал солдат. Я схватил его за ногу «Откуда знаешь?» и он ответил: «Я радист, Москва сообщила».

Я закончил войну старшим сержантом, командиром пулеметного взвода. После войны служил в aрмии ещё шесть лет в Черновцах на Буковине. Hаграждён орденом Славы, за отличие в боевых действиях и многими медалями.

Я считаю себя очень счастливым человеком. Oстался в живых, когда миллионы погибли во время войны, создал с моей женой прекрасную семью. Я имею дочь, внука и внучку, правнука и правнучку и в свои 90 лет наслаждаюсь жизнью в сказочной стране - Австралии.

Я закончил войну старшим сержантом, командиром пулеметного взвода. После войны служил в aрмии ещё шесть лет в Черновцах на Буковине. Hаграждён орденом Славы, за отличие в боевых действиях и многими медалями.

Я считаю себя очень счастливым человеком. Oстался в живых, когда миллионы погибли во время войны, создал с моей женой прекрасную семью. Я имею дочь, внука и внучку, правнука и правнучку и в свои 90 лет наслаждаюсь жизнью в сказочной стране - Австралии.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software