Log in

Testimonial Documented By: Gennady Ivashkevich

Project Co-ordinator: Nellie Khoroshina

Cover Art & Design: Sarah Scharf

Photography By: Max Droukman

Proof-reader: Shelley Dukes

Translated into English by: Oleg Petrenko

The high school graduation ceremony has come to an end. A loud, cheerful crowd of ex-tenth grade students1, poured into the school yard. Their future looked wonderful and the party lasted until dawn.

Young, strong voices occupied green streets of Slutsk (Belorussia), singing cheerful and joyful songs. Totally exhausted, my friends and I, slept soundly afterwards, and our dreams were good and kind.

The same day, at 11 am, I received a mobilization summons and, shortly after, arrived at the recruitment office. I was provided with a soldier’s uniform, rifle, ammunition and was sent to a platoon, in the regiment, located in Slutsk. At 5 pm, we took our first battle with German parachute troops.

The paratroopers were wearing uniforms of Soviet policemen and were armed with automatic assault rifles and machine guns. The purpose of the assault was to capture a part of the city to prepare a safe passage for the main troops. That night, we were back at the regiment, with the first victory, but, not everyone came back. Many raw recruits, young guys, died—they were the first of many losses in that difficult and long war. I fought through that war, from beginning to the end. Those 1418 scary, sad and heroic days, would never be erased from my memory.

The military front was approaching fast. On the third day of the war, Germans captured my city(Slutsk), and then, on June 26, city of Minsk. In July 1941, at the T-junction of the roads, leading to cities of Mogilev and
Krichev (Belarus), the enemy troops were stopped. In those days of heavy fighting and retreat, a strong spirit was growing within us. By virtue of that spirit, we managed to delay Nazis advance. This changed the course of the war and, eventually, forced the invaders to the West.

At the beginning of the war, the Soviet Army experienced a severe lack of competent and experienced commanders. High school graduates, who during their study underwent a basic military training, were taken from the fronts and sent to military schools. I was among them, and arrived to military-infantry school, located in city of Krasnokholmsk. Training lasted for 15 hours a day, for five months, versus standard two-year training course of a peacetime.

In December 1941, I, Lieutenant Kossovski, ready for the battle, was sent to a division, which fought in defence of Moscow. Severe frosts, villages burnt and black, the smell of gun powder snow. Food was freezing in thermoses, which were brought to the forefront. Even vodka
was freezing in the flasks and we were warming it with our body heat. Even these conditions sometimes were merely unbearable, the Moscow battle had a strong impact on the outcome of the whole war. That first Nazis’ defeat, build a foundation of our great victory, in the same way as Stalingrad, Kursk and other major fighting of that long war.

As soon as the enemy was pushed away from the capital of the country, our division was deployed to Leningrad front. We took part in heavy and continuous fighting, in a swampy area. Our division frees Kalinin and Smolensk regions, suffering heavy losses among the troops, so the personnel was constantly turning over. In April 1942, I was injured by explosion of a landmine, lost my hearing and was wounded in both legs. After treatment, in the army’s medical battalion, I was again sent to the military front, as a platoon commander.

From December 1942 to February 1943, I took part in fighting near the town of Rzjev, which had two lines of defence and a system of bunkers, pillboxes and hidden pillboxes.
At that night, I ordered the remaining soldiers to attack the enemy’s flanks. We managed to break through and destroy the pillbox and killed lots of enemy soldiers in the trenches. Only 15 of our soldiers survived that fight; in the morning, division commander arrived and presented me with the Order of the Red Star2.

In August 1943, I was seriously wounded in the head, throat and right arm and spent seven months in various hospitals.After treatment, I was declared as having a second category of disability 3 and transferred to serve in a training regiment, as a a military company commander. All commanders in

Order of the Red Star (Russian: ”Орден Краснoй Звезды”—”Orden Krasnloy Zvezdi”) was a military decoration of the Soviet union. Awarded, for example, for personal courage and bravery in battle, for the excellent organization and leadership in combat that contributed to the success of the troops.

First, second and third degrees (categories) of disability were recognized in USSR, from the most severe-first to the least severe--third.

the training regiment were like me—wounded in battles and had great combat experience. The training lasted from 6am till 11pm; we had three months to prepare a combat battalion to be sent to the front.

After the Nazis surrendered, our training regiment was preparing soldiers for a war with Japan. In 1946, the training regiment was dissolved. For my participation in the war I received many awards, including the Order of the Red Star and the Medal for the Defence of Moscow. Settling down after the war was not easy—my father, my brothers and I-- all had severe injuries, as the result of the war, and our house was destroyed by the enemy. Eventually, things got back on track, but the war left a significant damage on our bodies and our souls.

I arrived to Australia in 1992. My participation in the war is very well recognised here. I am an Honourable Member of the State of Victoria’s Association of the Second World War Veterans and I am receiving my pension from The Department of Veteran Affairs. I experience a very special feeling, when young people visit our association – it is like, I am back in the ranks.

We conduct lots of volunteer work, to improve the quality of life of the service men, living in Australia.

I have two beautiful sons, Gregory and Felix (engineers), two granddaughters, Alla and Anna, grandson Gregory and three great-grandchildren: two great-grandsons--Aaron, 19, and James, 16 and a great-granddaughter— Abigail, 7. I am happy that my great-grandson, Aaron, is now studying to become a medical professional - it is the most peaceful profession in the world.

My family, and many other families, can now enjoy the benefits of peace, because our generation did the noblest thing, which anyone could do for their country—facing death for the victory of life.

У Каждого Своя Война!

Выпускной бал в школе подошел к концу. Шумной веселой толпой бывшие десятиклассники высыпали на школьный двор. Будущее казалось прекрасным. Долго еще утром на зеленых улицах города Слуцка, Белоруссии, звучали веселые голоса и радостные песни. Я и мои друзья крепко спали в эту ночь и сны были хорошими и добрыми.

22 Июня 1941 рано утром мы услышали разрывы бомб и шум пролетающих самолетов. Утром, в 11 часов, я получил мобилизационное предписание и явился на призывной пункт, где мне вручили солдатское обмундирование, винтовку, патроны и отправили в составе взвода в полк находящийся в Слуцке.

В этот день в 5 вечера мы приняли первый бой с немецким парашютным десантом. Они были одеты в форму Советских милиционеров и вооружены автоматами и пулеметами.

Задача этого десанта было захватить часть города, чтобы подготовить безопасный проход немецким войскам. В полк мы вернулись с первой победой и потерями личного состава. Погибли молодые необстреленые ребята, первые из многочисленных потерь в этой тяжелой и продолжительной войне.

Я прошел войну с начала до конца. Никогда не сотрётся из памяти 1418 дней страшных, горестных и героических дней. Фронт приближался быстро. На третий день войны немецкие войска захватили г. Слуцк, а 26 июня, был захвачен Минск. В июле 1941 года на развилке дорог ведущих к Могилеву и Кричеву, Белорусь, немецкие войска были остановлены. В этих тяжелых боях крепли те силы, которые сумели задержать наступление немецких войск, изменить ход войны и в конце концов погнать врага на Запад.
Советская армия ощущала сильную нехватку грамотных и опытных командиров. Выпусников школ, которые во время учебы прошли курск молодого бойца, направили в военные училища. Я попал в их число, и прибыл в военно-пехотное командное училище в городе Красно-Холмске. Учеба длилась пять месяцев пo 15 часов в день, вместо положенных в мирное время двух лет.

В Декабре 1941 года я, лейтенант Коссовский, был направлен в дивизию, воевавшую на защите Москвы. Сильные морозы, сожжённые деревни и черный, пропахший порохом снег. Еда замерзала в термoсах, которые доставляли на передовую. Замерзала даже водка во флягах.

Мы отогревали ее теплом своего тела. Тяжелая битва под Москвой, переломила ход войны. После сражений под Москвой нашу дивизию перебросили на Лениградский фронт. И опять тяжелые и непрерывные бои в условиях болотистой местности. Дивизия освобождала Калининскую и Смоленскую области с тяжелыми потерями личного состава.

В Апреле 1942 года, я был контужен разрывом мины, потерял слух и получил ранение в обе ноги. После лечения в армейском медсанбате, меня снова направили на фронт командиром взвода.С Декабря 1942 до Февраля 1943 я принимал участие в боях под городом Ржевом, который имел две оборонительные линии и системы дотов и дзотов. Немецкие войска имели большое количество самоходных пушек, танков и самолетов.

Я получил приказ взять укрепленные немецкие позиции. После нескольких атак мы понесли тяжелые потери - из 1000 бойцов нашего полка в живых осталось только 48 солдат и я, лейтенант Юрий Косовский! Ночью, я приказал оставшимся солдатам aтаковать противника с флангов. Нам удалось прорваться и уничтожить немецкий дот и фашистов в траншях. После этого боя только 15 моих солдат осталось в строю. Утром прибыл командир дивизии и наградил меня орденом Красной Звезды.

В Августе 1943 года я был тяжело ранен в голову, горло и правую руку - семь месяцев в госпиталях. После госпиталя я получил инвалидность второй группы и был направлен служить в учебный полк командиром роты. Все командиры в учебном полку имели большой боевой опыт. Боевая учеба и тренировка начинались с 6 утра до 11 вечера. Мы должны были подготовить боевой батальон за 3 месяця для отправки на фронт. После капитуляции Германии учебный полк готовил бойцов для войны с Японией.В 1946 этот учебный полк был расформирован.

За участие в боях Великой Отечественной войны я получил награды, включая орден Красной Звезды и медаль за оборону Москвы. В Австралию я прихал 1992 году. Много лет я был Президентом Ассоциации Ветеранов Второй мировой войны.Когда в нашу Ассоциацию приходит молодежь я чувствую себя сновa в строю.

Мы шли на смерть, чтобы победила жизнь!

У меня в Австралии два прекрасных сына, Григорий и Фелиkс; две внучки Алла, Анна и внук Григорий; а так же правнучки Аарон, Джеймс и правнучка Абби.

Я счастлив, что мой правнук Аарон учится сейчас в Медицинском институте самой мирной профессии на земле!
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software