Log in

Testimonial Documented By: Oleg Petrenko

Project Co-ordinator: Nellie Khoroshina

Cover Art & Design: Sarah Scharf

Proof-reader: Shelley Dukes

Translated into English by: Oleg Petrenko

Isaak BudovskI, a True story

Have you ever met a Jew who worked as a train driver? Probably not. But I was lucky. I met one. His name was Isaak Budovski, a ninety-year-old man with very young eyes. He looked strong and had a very good memory. Here is what he told me:

Isaak sighed heavily, rubbed his bald head and offered me a cup of tea. ‘Or maybe we’ll have abisele vodka?’ he suggested. I politely refused again but Isaak persisted:

I don’t agree, my friend. At the front, vodka helped the people to forget at least for a moment about the hell that was burning all around. If you want I’ll tell you how vodka saved my life. It happened when we stayed in Sorochinsk. It was a very cold winter night. I was walking from work and suddenly stopped. I couldn’t feel my hands or feet. I couldn’t take another step, and it felt like I had stopped breathing. An old man, our neighbour, pulled me into his home and poured out a half glass of vodka and forced me to drink. Can you imagine a half glass of vodka for a teenager, who had never even smelled that fiery drink? But I drank and the vodka warmed me up.

The old man exhaled slowly and went on:

I started working at fifteen. In the beginning I greased the rotating parts of machines at a big factory, and after a year I became an assistant to the diesels machinist. I did that job up to October 1944, when the Soviet Army liberated Belorussia and we returned from Sorochinsk. Back home, I began working at the Mogilev depot and soon became an assistant to the train driver. As well as the driver and me our brigade had a fireman. We drove echelons with troops and armament to the frontline, and from there, wounded soldiers back to Mogilev and further inland.

‘I can imagine it was a very dangerous job. Was it?’ I asked naively.

‘Yes, of course,’ Isaak laughed. I’ll tell you something about my life at that time. Listen and write it down. Maybe it will be interesting to my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.’

He drank a glass of water and cleared his throat as if he was about to start singing. Then he continued:
Once we drove a heavy echelon, loaded with tanks, to the frontline. That time we had two locomotives joined with a coupling. The trouble began at night when we were not far from the traffic light near the station. All of a sudden we lost the coupling. It happened as we were moving uphill. The first locomotive continued to move uphill towards the station and the second one, with all the carriages, slowly rolled downhill. The dispatcher saw the first locomotive and thinking that everything was all right gave permission for the upcoming echelon to start moving. The situation became critical. The train coming from the opposite direction could have reached us in a matter of seconds. I lit a torch and jumped from the locomotive. Standing on the rails I began waving the burning torch. The switchman noticed the flame from my torch and stopped the coming train, which continued to move very slowly.

Isaak wiped his damp forehead before pressing on with his story:

Even now, more than seventy years ago, it is scary to think about that night. And now listen to another story. Once on the way to the front the grating of the locomotive fell down. To stop the train and fix the problem meant being late with the armament for the army. We couldn’t do it. The decision came very quickly. Because I was the smallest and almost weightless I was chosen to fix the problem while the locomotive was in motion. I climbed into the furnace and lifted the heavy grating till everything was fixed. As a result the important cargo was delivered in time.
Isaak closed his eyes, indicating it was time for a break. Then he stood up and walked over to the window, motioning for me to join him. On the seventeenth floor of his building we seemed to be deep inside the clouds. Then he slowly brought himself back to the table and began to speak again:

Now we are back with the trains. You cannot even imagine what happened to us on some of those days at the train depot. I see you are intrigued, so I will tell

you something. Our train became a target for our own planes. Yes, mistakes happen every day. More than seventy years ago and today, mistakes happen.

Isaak stood up and made a few slow loops around the table.

And how many times, being very tired, did I fall asleep standing beside the locomotive’s side window. Standing there like a horse. One time our dead-tired driver fell asleep and nearly crashed the train running through a red light. Maybe a miracle happened at that moment. The driver woke up just before the traffic light and put the brakes on. From the sharp stop the train carriages tore in two. Luckily nobody from our brigade or the guards was wounded.

My young-eyed friend seemed to grow very tired. His wife Eva, who had been sitting beside him, noticed it straight away. After seventy long years of marriage she knew her husband better then herself. They coexisted like one very well greased mechanism.

‘Isaak, have a rest. We are not in a hurry,’ Eva suggested.

‘Listen, darling, I have almost finished,’ Isaak replied and continued:

One afternoon, at the beginning of May 1945, I returned from work to our miserable dwelling at Lenin’s House. Why it was called Lenin’s House nobody knew. So, I entered our spare room (in itself a miracle!) on the first floor and exhausted from two sleepless nights on the train fell asleep in a moment. But my dream didn’t last long. In the street people were shouting and shots were fired.

I looked out the window. The street was filled with people and everybody shouting, Victory, Victory! The war in Europe was over. From the end of May our train brigade continued transporting the Soviet troops and armament. Only now it was from the west to the east. Ahead loomed the war with Japan.

In 1947 I became a train driver and headed the train brigade. No bombs dropping from the sky, no guards. We drove trains loaded with peaceful cargo. A couple of years later I became an engineer, but my job as before continued to be in railway transport. In 1992 I migrated with my wife to Australia where my younger son Vladimir already lived.

Isaak reclined in his chair and smiled. An old man with young eyes. Most probably the only Jewish train driver in the history of that endless country called the USSR.

Translated by Nicholas Belog


Машинист паровоза на войне

Вы когда-нибудь встречали еврея машиниста паровоза, да еще водившего поезда во время войны? Наверно мало найдется таких людей. А мне повезло. Я встретил такого. Это – Исаак Будовский, очень немолодой девяностолетний человек с очень молодыми глазами. И вот, что он рассказал мне.

- 22 июня 1941 года началась война. Отца призвали в Красную Армию, а мама с тремя сыновьями бежали из города Быкова Гомельской области от наступающих немцев до Брянска. Затем на грузовых поездах доехали до города Сорочинск в Чкаловской области. Путь наш от Белорусского городка до Урала был с бомбежками, болезнями и голодом. Три голодных года тяжкого труда, недосыпания и страха за отца и брата. А потом мама со мной и младшим сыном вернулись в освобожденный от немцев Могилев. Проклятая война забрала жизнь моего старшего брата Лени, который добровольно ушел в Красную армию в неполных семнадцать лет, а у отца, командира стрелковой роты, забрала правую руку.

Исаак тяжело вздохнул. Потом потер ладонью лысину и сказал:

- Хотите чаю, Наум? Хотя, что я говорю? Давайте выпьем по рюмочке беленькой.

Я вежливо отказался, а Исаак сказал:

- Напрасно. А водочка на фронте помогала забыть на минуту о страшном аде вокруг. Да не только на фронте, а в тылу случалось, что и жизнь спасала. Это я про себя говорю. В лютую уральскую зиму однажды я чуть не замерз, возвращаясь с работы. Спас меня старик сосед. Он втащил меня в дом и налил пол стакана водки, неизвестно как сохранившейся у него, и приказала выпить. Это мне, семнадцатилетнему пацану, никогда не нюхавшему этого огненного питья. И я выпил. И отогрела она меня. Вот так бывало.

Исаак снова тяжело вздохнул и сказал: Работать я начал в пятнадцать лет. Вначале масленщиком. Это чтобы машины работали без перебоев я смазывал все, что терлось в механизме. Потом стал помощником машиниста на дизеле. И так я проработал до октября 1944 года, а потом, когда освободили город Могилев, я с мамой и младшим братом вернулись в Белоруссию. Там я стал работать в Могилевском депо помощником машиниста паровоза. В составе паровозной бригады, состоящей из трех человек. Машиниста, заместителя машиниста и кочегара. Мы водили поезда с солдатами и вооружением к линии фронта, а с линии фронта в тыл – санитарные поезда с раненными. Это была опасная и тяжелая работа.

- Я вам расскажу кое-что из моей паровозной жизни. Слушайте и запишите. Может быть моим внукам и правнукам будет интересно прочитать.

Исаак выпил стакан воды и, прочистив горло словно собирался запеть, продолжал:

- Водили мы состав с двумя паровозами в сцепке, так называемый тандэм. Было это ночью и мы были недалеко от светофора возле станции. И вот одна сцепка выпала. Случилось это, когда мы ехали вниз с холма, а затем путь шел вверх к станции. Первый паровоз благополучно стал подниматься вверх, а второй в сцепке со всеми вагонами продолжал катиться вниз. На станции не знали о случившемся и разрешили другому составу двигаться навстречу нам. Ситуация была критической. Встречный поезд мог врезаться в нас. Я зажег факел и, выскочив с паровоза, начал размахивать им. Стрелочник заметил горящий в ночи огонь, понял ситуацию и остановил еще не успевший разогнаться встречный состав.

Исак вытер мокрый лоб.

- Даже сейчас страшно вспомнить об этом, - сказал он.

- А вот еще один случай. В пути в паровозной топке провалилась одна колосниковая решетка. Это означило, что состав не сможет двигаться дальше и то вооружение, которое мы везли не дойдет во время до фронта. С трудом дотянули состав до ближайшей станции и там начали ремонт. Вначале горячий уголь, лежащий на злополучной решетке, перебросили на другую решетку и охладили водой из тендера паровоза, и только тогда через отверстие диаметром 800 мм поочередно с кочегаром я, семнадцатилетний паренек, лез внутрь топки, в которой было невообразимо жарко. Находиться там можно было не больше минуты. И вот за час мы установили на место провалившуюся в пути решетку. Ремонт, который в мирное время бы занял неделю был выполнен за час и военные грузы были доставлены к линии фронта своевременно.

Вы не можете себе представить, но однажды наш состав ошибочно был обстрелян своим самолетом. Все случалось на войне. А сколько раз от усталости случалось спать в кабине паровоза стоя, как лошадь. Однажды уставший до смерти машинист заснул и чуть не поехал на красный свет. В какой-то момент он проснулся и, увидев красный свет, резко затормозил, в результате чего состав разорвало на две части. К счастью никто из паровозной бригады и из охраны не пострадали. Такие происшествия в военное время тоже бывали. Исаак устал говорить. Жена Ева, сидевшая рядом, сразу учуяла это. За семьдесят лет замужества она знала своего мужа, как себя. Они существовали, как один хорошо смазанный организм.

- Исаак, отдохни. Мы никуда не спешим, - сказала она.
- Да мне осталось еще малость, - сказал Исаак и продолжил, - однажды в начале мая я вернулся с работы в наше убогое жилье в доме Ленина. Так почему-то называли дом с разрушенным снарядом первым этажом и чудом уцелевшим вторым этажом. Уставший после двух бессонных ночей я уснул мгновенно. Но спать мне пришлось недолго. На улице раздались крики людей, а потом выстрелы. Я выглянул в окно. Народ ликовал. Это был день нашей победы. С конца мая наша паровозная бригада продолжала возить войска и военную технику, но теперь с запада на восток. Впереди была война с Японией. В то время я уже был машинистом паровоза и возглавлял бригаду. Впереди была мирная жизнь в Гомеле в Белоруссии, а затем с 1992 года – в Австралии в Мелбурне.

Исаак откинулся на спинку стула и улыбнулся. Старый человек с молодыми глазами. Скорее всего единственный в громадной стране еврей - машинист паровоза.

Написал Наим Белог.
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software